Monday, January 24, 2011

Then What?

This hymn is a prayer that I sing often.

More holiness give me, more strivings within.
More patience in suffering, more sorrow for sin.
More faith in my Savior, more sense of His care.
More joy in His service, more purpose in prayer.

More gratitude give me, more trust in the Lord.
More zeal for His glory, more hope in His Word.
More tears for His sorrows, more pain at His grief.
More meekness in trial, more praise for relief.

More purity give me, more strength to overcome,
More freedom from earth-stains, more longings for home.
More fit for the kingdom, more useful I'd be,
More blessed and holy, more, Savior, like Thee


“And it came to pass in an evening tide, that David arose from off his bed, and walked upon the roof of the king’s house: and from the roof he saw a woman washing herself; and the woman was very beautiful to look upon.”

Then what?

The story of the rise and fall of David from shepherd to warrior to king to heartbroken and fallen man causes any reader to be dismayed. Its evidence that none of us are immune from our weaknesses nor from any sin.
As I apply various strategies to help me avoid spiritual pitfalls, I have found one that works well for me. When faced with a temptation, whether it is physical, mental, emotional, spiritual or part of all of these, I ask myself a simple question, “then what?”

Answering the question forces me weigh the pleasures of the tempting offer versus the consequences I might receive after indulging. Answering this simple question spares me from much sorrow and even disaster. Here are some examples:

If I tell a lie right now, then what?
If I spread gossip, then what?
If I follow a link to an inappropriate website, then what?
If I tell an off color joke, then what?
If I steal, plagiarize, or pirate software, then what?
If I decide to flirt or worse, then what?
If I decide to have drugs, a cigarette, beer, shot of alcohol, or cup of coffee, then what?

This question not only helps to avoid sins of commission but it helps with those of omission.

If I don’t go to church today, then what?
If I don’t read my scriptures today, then what?
If I put off my duty or my calling for another day, then what?
If I don’t attend the temple, then what?
If I let another day pass without going to my knees in sincere prayer, then what?
If I don’t gather my children close to me and tell them of my love and concern for them, then what?
If I don’t treat my spouse like royalty, then what?

By asking, "then what?" I am clearly able to predict the result of myboth good and bad decisions.  Although the effort is an utmost challenge, I am trying now more than ever to be wary of evil and to life in such a way that my Father in Heaven will say, “it is well with thee.”

I am my brother’s keeper, even Jesus Christ. Because of our transgressions, He endured the ultimate suffering and death. By careful living and being thoughtful toward heaven, I feel, however slight, like I may help to lessen his suffering for my sin.

Some day He and I will meet face to face. In that moment I want to honestly say that I tried to live a life that followed His admonition, “If ye love me, keep my commandments.” of all the times that Christ needed love, it was when he suffered so much on the last few days of his life.

In posting so far, I have not asked for feedback. This time, however, please comment on what strategy you use that helps you walk in all righteousness. I truly want to learn.

As a people striving to build up Zion, we need to learn how to get beyond the petty sins of the day and rise above to do something great--live like we truly are the children of God and come from an eternal heritage.

3 comments:

  1. Brother Holt,

    First, thank you again for sharing your testimony and example of a person who is honestly striving to come closer to Christ. I didn't read all of your postings, but the latest one I did. You asked for comments about strategies to help walking in righteousness. It very much helps me to think about the 'If & Then' scenarios and I do that often. However, what really gets me stuck is when I become tired, impatient or moody and feel like I just want a 'break' and I don't think clearly about the 'If & thens'. I have found recently that looking for really good wholesome 'breaks' help me to feel like I actually got a break after doing that thing. For example, watching a episode of some silly show online, checking facebook and bla bla bla often (I changed the word: 'almost' to 'often' remembering what you've said about that word, haha.) NEVER makes me feel like it was a good break when I was done. I often feel even worse and don't look forward to waking up in the morning. So, lately my big challenge has been to make a list of the wholesome things that I can do to help myself be a better person (which helps me to help others) and then do those things with balance. I am not saying that watching an episode of something is necessarily a bad thing to do, but it must be kept in moderation. My husband and I decided not to watch anything during the week, but then we can do those things on the weekend. (Right before church, hah.:)) So, in a nutshell: I'm trying to (in addition to all the obvious ss answers) read good books, do sewing projects, cook/bake for storage, organize family photos & make videos, make plans for life, get my house in better order, and find more ways to serve other people. Speaking of which, my hubby is building shelves for me right now as I type. How sweet and wholesome of an activity. :) Anyway--THANKS again for the testimony here and at the fireside. When it was announced that we would be having a fireside, I immediately knew that I wanted to be there. I have been contemplating what I learned from that meeting all week. Firesides are DEFINITELY a good way to nourish a person. And if ONE is nourished properly, many will be nourished. Church can be stressful and busy, so for me to come there was awesome. :)
    So, strive on!
    Sarah G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing.

    I have to agree with the challenge of doing what is right when you are tired. It is times like that where I am able to rationalize ANYTHING.

    There are three things that have never been easy for me, but are important nevertheless: church, cardio and vegetables. Though they are a struggle, I seem to get two of the three done with consistency--but I don’t know if I will ever eat my veggies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of journaling and listening to conference talks. I don't keep up with my scripture study as well as I should, but I am trying to get better (so challenging at times with 5 kids, but we read as a family daily and that is essential). The Church has so many wonderful things on the Internet that have brought me a lot of comfort the past several months, and during the past year.
    Mormom.org has been a great place to go. Growing up in Utah and now living in Idaho I think I have thought that there are certain things to like or not like or how to dress -just subconsciously, nothing written or spoken necessarily. This would require a lot of explanation, but in general, what is the definition of nice- does it mean I have to like heals and look ultra feminine, or particularly stylish? Do those things make a good member of the church? Balance between being neat and comely and being vain (for me, not for someone who prefers heals. Maybe a better way to phrase that would be feeling like I need to be someone I am not)...that sort of thing. But watching other members talk about the gospel (as well as trying to remember daily that everyone I meet is a child of God) just in their varied lives has been very helpful for feeling more at ease with me as I struggle with other areas I need to improve that are certainly more essential to my salvation, like getting along with my children, in particular lately one with some special needs emotionally.
    Talks about being Christlike with our children have been a comfort as I kind of feel like maybe I've been too over accommodating with her in the past and feel like I need to be more stern. Still working on that, daily and seeking some help for her, as well as myself, but it has helped to get us where we are now, which is a step in the right direction on what might be a long road. But I am so grateful for modern prophets and the scriptures, prayer, my family and a few close friends, that get me through it. I have also been trying to read more about the Savior himself lately in the Book of Mormon and New Testament. It is increasing my testimony of Jesus Christ, which allows me to have greater faith and understand more about the Atonement, which for me is a bigger task than others it feels because I am not a scriptorian by any stretch of the imagination, although I do love reading them and the comfort it brings, even if I don't remember the verse and chapter or even who I am reading about.
    And...Brad, your blog has been so nice to read when I remember to stop by. There is a lot of peace and humble confidence in what you write. I appreciate your good use of the internet and for your knowledge and ease in explaining things as you see them.

    ReplyDelete