Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Light at the end of the tunnel

“And it shall be a testimony unto the Father that ye do always remember me,” Christ taught as he introduced the ordinance of the Sacrament to the Nephites. He went to the Americas taught them, and established His church, shortly after his death and subsequent resurrection.

Recently, I participated in a discussion at church about various gospel ordinances. A series of questions were raised which led me to think about the answers:

“How many times have you been baptized for the remission of your sins?”

“How many times have you been confirmed a member of the Church of Christ and then received the Gift of the Holy Ghost?”

“How many times has the Aaronic Priest hood been conferred upon you?”

“How many times has the Melchizedek Priesthood been conferred upon you?"

“How many times have you received your temple endowment?”

“How many times have you been sealed to your spouse?”

Of course the answer to each of these questions is “one time”.

On the other hand, “How many times have you partaken of the emblems of the Sacrament?”

Hmmmm.

I have been a member of the church since 12 November 1989; I have been presented with over one thousand opportunities to participate in this ordinance.

While reading some scriptures, I understand the value that the Sacrament has become to me.

3 Nephi 18:3-12 says,
“3And when the disciples had come with bread and wine, he took of the bread and brake and blessed it; and he gave unto the disciples and commanded that they should eat.
 4And when they had eaten and were filled, he commanded that they should give unto the multitude.
 5And when the multitude had eaten and were filled, he said unto the disciples: Behold there shall one be ordained among you, and to him will I give power that he shall break bread and bless it and give it unto the people of my church, unto all those who shall believe and be baptized in my name.
 6And this shall ye always observe to do, even as I have done, even as I have broken bread and blessed it and given it unto you.
 7And this shall ye do in remembrance of my body, which I have shown unto you. And it shall be a testimony unto the Father that ye do always remember me. And if ye do always remember me ye shall have my Spirit to be with you.
 8And it came to pass that when he said these words, he commanded his disciples that they should take of the wine of the cup and drink of it, and that they should also give unto the multitude that they might drink of it.
 9And it came to pass that they did so, and did drink of it and were filled; and they gave unto the multitude, and they did drink, and they were filled.
 10And when the disciples had done this, Jesus said unto them: Blessed are ye for this thing which ye have done, for this is fulfilling my commandments, and this doth witness unto the Father that ye are willing to do that which I have commanded you.
 11And this shall ye always do to those who repent and are baptized in my name; and ye shall do it in remembrance of my blood, which I have shed for you, that ye may witness unto the Father that ye do always remember me. And if ye do always remember me ye shall have my Spirit to be with you.
 12And I give unto you a commandment that ye shall do these things. And if ye shall always do these things blessed are ye, for ye are built upon my rock.”

As I partake of the Sacrament, dedicated time is given to me to bear my testimony, or witness, to my Father in Heaven. Each week when I partake of the bread, I bow my head and pray something like this:

“Heavenly Father, gratitude fills my heart for the opportunity I have to remember thy Son. I testify to thee that I remember His death and His resurrection. I have faith that He lives! I ask for a measure of hope that I may have an assurance that someday, through the merits of Christ’s atonement, I may be resurrected after I taste of death.” As I pray thus, without fail, the Spirit fills me. Often I continue to pray for an assurance that my wife and children will be filled with the same understanding.

As I drink the water each week I pray again:

“Heavenly Father, as I extend my participation in this ordinance, I continue to be grateful for the work of Thy Son for He has fulfilled His portion in the Plan of Salvation. Because of this, not only shall I be resurrected but I will be redeemed. Please bless me with assurance that I may have eternal life and, according to my faithfulness, be redeemed from all sin.” Again, as always, the Spirit fills my soul and I end my thoughts and prayers recognizing the Spirit and thankful to have a Savior and a Redeemer who was and always will be Wonderful.

When a child of mine asks me the same question over and over, I become frustrated and remind the child that the question has already been addressed. However, when I do the same thing my child does and repeat my longing for assurance that I will be resurrected and have eternal life each week, Heavenly Father always responds with comfort and blessings. The example I see from Heaven is profound and I need to apply it in my home.

I love the Sacrament.

I also find strength and hope each week when I am assured that there is a light at the end of the tunnel of life—it’s Celestial Glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment